From time to time we are asked questions about our products regarding how best to use them, and we see this as a good opportunity to publish the answers to those valued questions so we can help all of our customers.
Where to buy Holman Products
Holman products are available at all leading irrigation & hardware outlets Australia wide including Bunnings Warehouse
Please use the Store Finder to find your nearest hardware and irrigation outlet. Store Locator
We welcome your interest in becoming a HOLMAN account customer.
Please ensure you meet the following criteria before applying:
- You must have a retail outlet from which to trade.
- You must have an ABN.
- You must be able to provide trade references on request.
If you are able to tick all the boxes, contact us and we will send you a credit application for you to complete.
Perth Head Office Email:
(08) 9204 1011
Head Office Address:
47 Walters Drive
Osborne Park WA 6017
145 Northcorp Boulevard
Broadmeadows VIC 3047
How much is my water pressure
This simple bucket test can be measured by timing in seconds how long it takes to fill a 9 litre household bucket. Testing should be done at the times when you plan to run your system, (i.e. 6am). Ensure all other taps are turned off, turn the test tap on full, and then time how long it takes to fill the container.
An allowance of 20% has been made on the bucket test which allows for the system to run at 175kPa for the correct operation of sprinklers.
Formula= Container size (litres) divided by time to fill (seconds) multiplied by 60 = litres per minute. The pressure gauge test kit is available from most distributors and should be tested at 250kPa.
Sprinkler Spacing Guide
It is recommended sprinklers are spaced at their radius performance to ensure even distribution (no dry spots). Decide the size of the main line to your solenoid valves from the pipe size guide. (The main line is the piping from the water source). Check with your supplier if your mainline exceeds 80 metres in length or if your system is being designed for a hilly situation.
What is the best Pipe Size
Determine number of ball valve/solenoid valves required by dividing available flow into total flow required when all sprinklers are plotted.
Choose most convenient and practical locations to tee off from mainline and install ball valves/solenoid valves after tee off. Draw in remaining pipework and size remaining pipe.
Review your plan, then order what you need. Check details.
Check local authorities for: Telephone buried cables, water pipes, backflow prevention laws, underground power supplies, gas pipes. Backflow prevention and isolating valves must be installed by a licensed plumber/ contractor, where required by state laws.
INSTALLING YOUR Irrigation SYSTEM
- If your system is to be automatic, you may require a licensed electrician to connect your automatic controller. If your system is supplied from the water mains, arrange for a plumber to cut into your main and fit an approved valve for you to connect the system to. Locate all the services (Phone, water, gas, etc.) taking care when digging near these services. It helps to mow, then water your lawn well before cutting your trenches.
- Using your Homestyle plan, peg out the position of all the sprinklers. A stringline is helpful in making sure your sprinklers run in a straight line. You can now commence cutting your trenches. This can be done using a sharp spade, or alternatively a turf cutting machine available from a hire outlet. Trenches should be 100mm wide and 150mm to 250mm deep depending on the type of sprinkler used. Remove the divots and place them beside the trench. Clean the trench using a trenching shovel (available for hire or sale).
- Assemble all threaded materials. Screw the sprinklers, risers and faucet fittings together. These do not require threadseal and need to be handtight. Threadseal all valve sockets and tighten firmly into valves. Do not fit the sprinkler nozzles at this point. Following your plan, place all the fittings beside the trenches in their correct order and position. Also lay your pipe out beside the trenches.
- Starting from the water source, commence installing your system. Note: PVC pipe should be clean where it connects to fittings. Remove any burring from the pipe end, clean ends of pipe and fittings with priming fluid and apply a light even coat of glue to both surfaces. Push the pipe and fittings firmly together and hold for 30 seconds. Install the main line and all valves first, followed by the lateral lines. Check carefully with the plan to ensure you are using the correct pipe size. All valves should be protected by a valve box. Note: All solenoid valves have a flow direction marked on them.
- When all pipework is laid, commence backfilling your trenches, make sure the top of each sprinkler is flush with the surface allowing your mower to pass over without damaging the sprinkler.
- Flush the system section by section. It is best to fit the first 2 or 3 nozzles in the section first to ensure proper flushing of the furthest sprinklers. When all nozzles are fitted run each section to ensure correct operation. Once you have checked the system do a final cleanup and mark any amendments on the plan.
- For an automatic system, install as per the · manual system, and make certain the main is flushed before installing valves.
- 1. Connect one low voltage cable to each valve and run directly to the controller terminal block. Connect the common cable to each valve, run to the controller and attach to terminal block where indicated, i.e. 6 sections = 7 cables.
- 2. All cables should be taped underneath the reticulation pipes where possible. Low voltage cable connections should be joined in an approved manner.
- 3. Set the controller using the operation manual provided.
Due to these ever changing restrictions please click on the logo representing your state below to find the correct information.
Where your state isn't listed please click on the logo below to be directed to the SaveWater website, who provide state specific information regarding water restrictions.
Please use the form below to register the details of the product you have purchased. In the Details box please ensure you state the Title and Model number of the product, including the receipt number and date of purchase.
Warranty periods are product specific and all warranty starts from the date of purchase and is non-transferrable.
For your own records please retain your product receipt so we can match it up with your product registration if required. We cannot process any warranty claims without proof of the original receipt.
By registrering your product with HOLMAN you are allowing us to contact you from time to time with product updates and our Newsletter. If you do not wish to receive either of these please let us know.